Eruca sativa and Raphanus sativus oils Enhance Hepatic and Renal Tissues Regeneration in White Mice
Keywords:Eruca sativa oil, Raphanus sativus, hepatotoxic, nephrotoxic, ultraviolet irradiation.
AbstractRegeneration is a process of tissue repairing in the body, and according to this process the cells of the body are divided into three types; labile, stable and permanent cells. Objectives: The aims of this study are to evaluate the ability of two herbal seed oils (Eruca sativa and Raphanus sativus) to enhance regeneration and repair in the liver and kidney in the irradiated mice. And to investigate which herbal oil is more effective. Method: Four groups of mice were used in this study. The first three groups were exposed to radiation while the fourth was used as a control. After irradiation the first and second groups were treated with local Eruca sativa and Raphanus sativus oils respectively. While the third group used as a control. Then histopathological investigation was done. Results: Histopathological examination in irradiated groups exhibited that both seed oils could induce regeneration in both hepatic and renal tissues but the activity of Raphanus sativus oil was more effective than Eruca sativa especially in renal tissue. Meanwhile, poor regeneration process appeared in the third group (control). Conclusion: Both local herbal oils had ability to enhance regeneration in the examined tissues but R. sativus seed oil exerted more activity than E. sativa seed oil.
-Raghavendra HL, Yogesh HS, Gopalakrishna B,Chandrashekhar VM, Sathishkumar BP, Vadlapudi K. An overview of herbal medicine, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science, 2009; 1(1):1-20.
-Bassam H. Medicinal Plants (Importance and Uses) Pharmaceut Anal Acta 2012, 3:10
-. Smith JE,A brief history of herbal medicine,Inspired Times 2010; 4:15
- Barillari J, Canistro, D, Paolini, M, Ferroni, F, Pedulli G, Iori R, Direct antioxidant activity of purified glucoerucin, the dietary secondary metabolite contained in rocket (Eruca sativaMill.) seeds and sprouts. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2005; 53, 2475–2482.
-Khoobchandania M. Ganeshb, N, Gabbaninic S,Valgimiglid L, Srivastavaa M,
Phytochemical potential of Eruca sativa for inhibition of melanoma tumor growth. Fitoterapia 2011; 82, 647–653
- Ishrat R, Shaista A, Suhail M, Hidayatullah A, Antimicrobial potential of seed extract of Eruca sativa Pak. J. Bot., 2010 42(4): 2949-2953, 2010.
-Mona S, Nehal M, Histological and quantitative study of the effect of Eruca sativa seed oil on the testis of albino rat. Egypt. J. Hosp. Med. 2001; 2, 148–162.
-Emtenan M, Hanafi M, Hegazy M, Riad A, Amer. Bio-protective effect of Eruca sativa seed oil against the hazardous effect of aflatoxin b1 in male rabbits. Int. J. Acad. Res.2010; 2, 67–74.
Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. 2010. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China. Beijing, China: Chinese Medical Science Press,
- Zhao Z, Xiao P, Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants. Shanghai, China: Shanghai World Publishing Corporation; 2009-2010.
Sui LQ, Li SP, Lu WH. Summarization on the study progress of sanziyangqing decoction in recent ten years. Guiding Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacology. 2006;12:103–104
-Gutiérrez RMP, Perez RL, Raphanus sativus (Radish): their chemistry and biology. The Scientific World Journal. 2004; 4:811–837.
- Suh J, Moon K., Kim H. Raphanus sativus and its isothiocyanates inhibit vascular smooth muscle cells proliferation and induce G1 cell cycle. Int. Immunopharmacol 2006 68:854–861.
- Gehan M,Tahany K, Aziza A, Antioxidant effect of Radish (Raphanus sativus) and leek (Allium porruml) juices against hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity induced by dimethoate in male albino 2015; 4(12) 215-246.
-Jalila A, Samir A , Haous Z, Ridha O, Tunisian radish (Raphanus sativus) extract prevents cadmium-induced immunotoxic and biochemical alterations in rats J Immunotoxicol, 2015; 12(1): 40–47
- El-Hinnawy I, Barakat S, Fouad R, Biochemical studies on some oleaginous seeds of Cruciferae plants. Grasas Aceites 1975; 26, 147–149.
- Safaa A, El-Shazely M, Kawkab A, Essam A,Adel I , Pathological, Immunohistochemical and Biochemical Studies on The Therapeutic Effect of Raphanus Sativus Oil on Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Rats. Egypt. J. Comp. Path &Clinic Path. 2015 ; . 28 (1)1- 17
- Aly A, Fayed S, Amal A, El-Rahim E, Antidiabetic properties of Egyptian radish and clover sprout in experimental rats. J. Biol. Chem. Environ. Sci. 2015;10 (1): 11-22.
-Svobodova A R, Galandakova A, Sianska J, Dolezal D, Ulrichova J, and Vostalova J, Acute exposure to solar stimulated ultraviolate affects oxidative stress related biomarkers in skine, liver and blood of hairless mice. Biol. Parma. Bull. 2011 34(4) 471-479
- Hu¨ seyin T, Mustafa Y, Effects of ultraviolet radiation on mole rats kidney: A histopathologic and ultrastructural study. J.Radiation Research and Applied sciences 2014;7,182-187 .
- Mansoub H, Sarvestani H, Effects of gamma irradiation on histomorphology of different organs in rats.Annals of Biological Research, 2011; 2(6), 431e436
- Jagetia C, & Reddy K, Modulation of radiation induced alteration in the antioxidant status of mice by naringin. Life Sciences 2005; 77, 780-794.
- Velavan S, Free radicals in health and diseases Pharmacology online. 2011; 1062 -1077
-Emin O, Induction of Oxidative Stress in Kidney International Journal of Nephrology 2012; 9 pages.
-Ozaki M, Enosawa S, Suzuki S, Regenerative medicine in liver disease. Nihon Rinsho. 2003 ; 61(3):498-503.
-Miyajima A , Tanaka M, Itoh T, Stem/Progenitor Cells in Liver Development, Homeostasis, Regeneration, and Reprogramming. Cell Stem Cell 2014 ; 14 (1): 561-574.
- Riehle K. Dan Y, Campbell J and Fausto N. New concept in liver regeneration. J Gastroenterol Hepato. 2011; 26 (suppl 1): 203-2013.
- Tanaka M, Itoh T, Tanimizu N, Miyajima A. Liver stem/progenitor cells: their characteristics and regulatory mechanisms. J. Biochem. 2011: 149(3):231–239.
- Grompe M1. Bone marrow-derived hepatocytes. Novartis Found Symp. 2005;265:20-7; discussion 28-34, 92-7.
-Mice H , Kooshapur H, Rezaii F, Ranjbar N, Moosav M, Study of the protective effect of Raphanus sativus (Radish) seed in liver toxicity induced by carbonteterachlorid in mice,
Jundishapur Journal of Natural Pharmaceutical Products 2009; 4(1): 24-31.
- Sang L ,, Kwang Y , Jung K, Byung N, Chang L, Min J, Su S , Gi K, Wol J, Effects of White Radish (Raphanus sativus) Enzyme Extract on Hepatotoxicity ,Toxicol Res.2012 ; 28(3): 165–172.
- Beevi SS, Mangamoori LN, Gowda BB ,2 Polyphenolics profile and antioxidant properties of Raphanus sativus L.Nat Prod Res. 2012; 26 (6): 557-563.
- Beevi SS, Mangamoori LN, Subathra M, Jyotheeswara E, Hexane extract of Raphanus sativus L. roots inhibits cell proliferation and induces apoptosis in human cancer cells by modulating genes related to apoptotic pathway. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2010; 65 (3), 200- 209.
- Yashida M and Honma S. Regeneration of injured renal tubules. J. Pharmacol. Sci. 2014; 124 , 117-122.
- Sastry D, Taramira (Eruca sativa) and its improvement-A review, Agricultural Review, 2003; 24(4), 235-249.
- Sarwar M., Kaur G, Jabbar Z, Javed K, Athar M, Eruca sativa seeds possess antioxidant activity and exert a protective effect on mercuric chloride induced renal toxicity, Food Chem. Toxicol, 2007; 45(6): 910-920.
- Chavez ML, Jordan MA, Chavez PI, Evidence-based drug-herbal interactions. Life Sci. 2006; 78,2146-2157.
- Barillari J1, Canistro D, Paolini M, Ferroni F, Pedulli GF, Iori R, Valgimigli L. Direct antioxidant activity of purified glucoerucin, the dietary secondary metabolite contained in rocket (Eruca sativa Mill.) seeds and sprouts. J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Apr 6;53(7):2475-82.
- Litescu SC, Sandra AV, Eremia SAV, Diaconu M, Tache A, et al. Biosensors Applications on Assessment of Reactive Oxygen Species and Antioxidants. Environmental Biosensors. In Tech Rijeka Croatia 2011.
- Achyut D, Sirisha M, Flavonoids in kidney protection,World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015; 4, Issue 03.
-Procházková, D., Boušová, I., Wilhelmová, N. Antioxidant and prooxidant properties of flavonoids. Fitoterapia 2011; 82, 513-523.
-Kand’ár, R.Žáková, P., Mu žáková, V. 2006. Monitoring of antioxidant properties of uric acid in humans for a consideration measuring of levels of allantoin in plasma by liquid chromatography. Clinica Chimica Acta365, 249-256.
-Emtenan H, Eman H, Rowida R, Amer H, Bio- protective effect of Eruca sativa seed oil against the hazardus effect of Aflatoxin B1 in male rabbits , International Journal of academic research.2010; 2 (2).
- Decker EA (2002) Antioxidant mechanisms. In: Akoh CC, Min DB (eds) Food lipids: chemistry, nutrition, and biotechnology. Marcel Dekker, New York, USA, 517–542
How to Cite
The journal has no restrictions for the author to hold the copyrights of his articles. The journal does not allow authors to republish the same article in other journals or conferences that is published in one of its volumes.